Wednesday, February 3, 2010

February 3, 2010

I may be a grown woman, but I act like a 4-year old once I am in the dentist's chair with that blue papery bib collared around my neck.

The cycloptic eye.


So when I got to the dentist this morning before work I was all tense because I was nervous about the pain and discomfort I was anticipating. I told the hygienist this and explained that I was a total baby when it came to getting my teeth cleaned or filled and that I have passed out from getting shots in the past. I also explained that I was just going to turn up the music on my ipod and go to a happy place while they did their thing.

My mouth was already numb at this point.  Thus the general lack of facial expression and lips tightly closed to keep from drooling.


That worked pretty well in spite of that high-pitched squeal of the drill that I could never quite get past by upping the volume of the Glee soundtrack. But right when the dentist was finishing up, the assistant (who was really nice) was using the suctiony thingy to suction the spit out of my mouth and I was thinking that I was home free, when all of a sudden the top of the suction thing popped off and fell back into my mouth. It was super startling - I thought it was a drill piece or something that was going beserk and was going to cut up the inside of my mouth and pierce my cheeks and stuff and I totally jumped - as did they - and started hyperventilating and freaking out. The hygienist snatched it out as fast as she could, but then I was all traumatized and I started crying, big crocodile tears leaking out of my eyes, just out of sheer nerves. It was way, way embarassing.

The instruments of torture.


After I calmed down I explained to the dentist that I have this huge fear that the drill bit is going to slip in my mouth and slice through my cheek. He, I think in an attempt to sympathize, said that he has the same fear. I'm not sure he meant whether he fears the same thing when he is in the chair, or that, as my dentist, he worries that he might do this to someone. The latter is not very reassuring, is it?

3 comments:

  1. So did you take these pictures while you were alone in the room or did the hygienist take them for you? Not that it's bad either way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took them while I was alone in the room. I really seriously considered asking if I could take one while both the dentist and the hygienist were leaning over me with drills and suction thingys, but I decided maybe not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I thought I hated the dentist.
    You're description of the trauma was good enough that my mouth started feeling weird as I was reading. I really, really hate that place.

    ReplyDelete

Your turn...