Thursday, September 17, 2015

Day 46: Headshot

It was so frustrating learning how to take this picture and I really had to figure a bunch of stuff out to do it.  Like setting up and balancing the tripod (harder than it looks actually, at least for me), using the camera remote and figuring out how to shoot with an interval setting and a self-timer, manually focusing the camera, and really pushing myself with aperture (shooting at anything below f/2.0 and I couldn't get both eyes in focus without being physically behind the camera to check on what was happening).  I also branched out and started exploring light by trying to get catch lights in my eyes.  I read somewhere that taking photos in the garage with the sun bouncing off the driveway in front of you was a good place, so as soon as the girls went down for naps, I backed the minivan out and set up a couple of chairs with a blanket draped over them for a backdrop and that is exactly what I did.  I might submit this for the self-portrait challenge at the TPE Student Lounge but I think I might want to try to get a different type of shot if I can find the time because while I like this headshot in general, it is embarrassing to have my face be so ... in your face, I guess.  I showed this picture to Clara and she immediately asked, "but where is your smile?" which makes me feel like this isn't a very accurate depiction of who I am, but also makes me happy that she when she pictures me in her head it is with a smile.


50 mm, ISO 400, f/2.0, SS 1/1250

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your turn...