Sunday, January 10, 2010

January 10, 2010

Today we had dinner with another couple from our ward who live in our same apartment complex.  Since we were bringing dessert, I had grand aspirations to tackle something I have never made before - a white chocolate raspberry truffle cheesecake.  So I found a recipe online that had a lot of reviews as being easy to make and unbelievably delicious, and yada-yada-yada.  I mean, the recipe called for an Oreo crust - how could I go wrong?



But ultimately it was a colossal failure.  See, the recipe called for a water bath where you preheat the oven with a pan filled with water while you make the cheesecake filling.  Only I guess I took longer than the recipe expected me to in putting the filling together and by the time I went to place the cheesecake in the water bath all of the water had evaporated.  So I, being the genius that I am, decided to pour more water into the smoking hot glass pan.  Sure enough, the thing shattered with a bang, spraying glass all over the kitchen. 



Undeterred, I waited for the oven to cool down, cleaned the entire mess up, and tried again.  Only this time I used a metal pan.  There weren't any more explosions accompanied by showers of glass, but apparently the water bath idea is not such a good one because the water seeped through my springform pan into the cheesecake which ended up as a soggy disgusting mess even though I had wrapped the bottom of it in tinfoil for the very purpose of preventing seepage. 

I ended up making rice krispie treats to take for dessert.  Impressive, I know.

5 comments:

  1. I say you have to have something break in every kitchen you live in. Love the apron. Is it from Anthro?
    Btw- the big farmers market at the Ferry Building is open on Saturdays. Would you and Paul be up for an early morning some weekend to come up and join me at the market? Busy season is starting, so I'm looking for ways to fill my Saturdays :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually made this particular apron over my Christmas break. I'm glad you like it and if you sew, I'd be happy to give you a copy of the pattern. And we (or at least I) would LOVE to go to the market at the Ferry Building. This upcoming Saturday doesn't work for us because I have family in town but maybe late January or February would work. I'll let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is Paul doing the 365 thing too? Because there is no picture of him in this post. Just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Late Jan, early Feb. sounds great. Just let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. K-so fun to read this blog. Wish I had gotten on the ball to do something like this.

    Dinner was fun, thanks again and I hope guitar hero didn't scare you off. We would love to get together again, soon. And the rice krispie treats were delicious!

    Also, might I add, I love love love the color on your walls. I wish we had painted when we first moved in. (The pic of Paul vacuuming shows the color really well.)

    ReplyDelete

Your turn...